Current:Home > ContactAnchor of Chinese container vessel caused damage to Balticconnector gas pipeline, Finnish police say -Capitatum
Anchor of Chinese container vessel caused damage to Balticconnector gas pipeline, Finnish police say
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 03:55:45
HELSINKI (AP) — Finnish investigators said Tuesday they believed an anchor of a Chinese container ship was dislodged and caused the damage to the undersea Balticconnector gas pipeline between Finland and Estonia on the Baltic Sea earlier this month.
The National Bureau of Investigation, a branch of the Finnish police, said that it has evidence and data pointing to the Hong Kong-flagged cargo vessel Newnew Polar Bear as the culprit in damaging the pipeline running across the Gulf of Finland.
Detective Superintendent Risto Lohi, NBI’s head of the investigation, said in a news conference on Tuesday that a 1.5 to 4-meter-wide dragging trail on the seabed is seen to lead to the point of damage in the gas pipeline.
That trail is believed to have been caused by a heavy 6-ton anchor which the Finnish Navy retrieved late Monday.
“There are traces in the (anchor) which indicate that it has been in contact with the gas pipeline,” Lohi said, citing data from expert analysis.
Whether the pipeline damage was intentional, unintentional or caused by “bad seafaring” is subject of the next phase in the probe, officials said.
On Oct. 8, Finnish and Estonian gas system operators said they noted an unusual drop in pressure in the pipeline after which they shut down the gas flow.
It turned out that the 77-kilometer (48-mile)-long pipeline that runs between the Finnish coastal town of Inkoo and the Estonian port of Paldiski was mechanically damaged in the Finnish economic zone and had shifted from its original position where it is buried in the seabed.
Last week, Finnish officials named the Newnew Polar Bear the prime suspect as the course and positioning of the 169-meter-long ship in the Baltic Sea coincided with the time and place of the gas pipeline damage.
Recent photos published on social media of the Chinese vessel, which called at the port of St. Petersburg in Russia during its Baltic Sea voyage, show the vessel is missing one of its anchors.
The Marine Traffic website shows the ship is currently sailing on Russian northern waters and is presumably heading back to China via the Northern Sea Route.
Finnish investigators said they have tried several times to contact the ship’s captain but without success and are now cooperating with Chinese officials on the case.
A Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said at a regular government media briefing on Monday that Beijing has called for an “objective, fair and professional” investigation into the damage to the Balticconnector and stressed that the Chinese vessel was sailing normally at the time.
Fresh photos by the Finnish Border Guard showed substantial damage to the 300-million euro ($318 million) gas pipeline that connects Finland to the European gas network. The Balticconnector pipeline was launched for commercial use at the beginning of 2020.
Repair work is expected to take at least until the end of April 2024.
A Finland-Estonia and Sweden-Estonia telecom cable was damaged at the same time as the pipeline.
Finnish authorities said on Tuesday they believe the Finland-Estonia data cable damage is tied to the Chinese vessel as well.
veryGood! (29)
Related
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Suspect in custody after shooting deaths of 2 people in a Colorado college dorm
- 4 candidates run in Georgia House election to replace Richard Smith, who died
- American man admits to attacking 2 US tourists and killing one of them near a famous German castle
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Air Canada chatbot costs airline discount it wrongly offered customer
- Adam Silver's anger felt around the NBA - but can league fix its All-Star Game problem?
- Selena Gomez Strips Down for Bathtub Photo During Paris Getaway
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Driver in Milwaukee crash that killed 5 people gets 25 years in prison
Ranking
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- United flight from San Francisco to Boston diverted due to damage to one of its wings
- Iowa's Caitlin Clark sets sights on Pete Maravich with next game vs. Indiana
- Madonna falls on stage at concert after dancer drops her
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- Missouri House votes to ban celebratory gunfire days after Chiefs’ parade shooting
- YouTuber Ruby Franke Sentenced to 4 to 60 Years in Prison for Child Abuse
- YouTuber Ruby Franke Sentenced to 4 to 60 Years in Prison for Child Abuse
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Selena Gomez Strips Down for Bathtub Photo During Paris Getaway
Caitlin Clark is astonishing. But no one is better than USC's Cheryl Miller.
Cougar attacks 5 cyclists in Washington, with one woman hospitalized
From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
Ashlee Simpson recalls 'SNL' lip sync backlash, says she originally declined to perform
Lionel Messi fan creates 'What The Messi' sneakers, and meets MLS star: 'He's a good soul'
2 children, 2 women face charges in beating death of 3-year-old toddler in Louisiana